Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Stars and Stripes Challenge at Guylou's!

It's challenge time all my crafty friends!!!  I am so excited today to be hosting the challenge over at Guylou's Inimitability! 

As we're heading into 4th of July weekend here in the States, most of my American friends are gearing up for their bbq's, fireworks and parties; and my Canadian friends are celebrating their independence today with festivities too!!  So it got me all wistful and patriotic -and I decided to go with Stars and Stripes as my challenge theme.  But have no fear, if you're not all into the patriotic theme, no worries - as long as your creation has some stars and stripes on it - you're good to go!!

For my card today, I decided to use the image, Praying Soldier, which I love and fits the theme perfectly! I cranked Peter, Paul and Mary belting out 'Blowin' in the Wind' and thought about all the heroes in our lives...the ones overseas that give up their entire world so that I can live peacefully with those I love in mine. I thought of the heroes on our soil and in our personal lives (angels unaware if you will)....


I went distress-happy with my Making Memories Distress ink to give the "dirt" appearance and feel; and colored up the pearls in the bottom right corner with the same Copics I used on his uniform.  And who said you can't have pearls on a masculine card?! LOL.  The sentiment by TLC reads "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway" - John Wayne. 

Hopefully this has inspired you all to come play along with us! You have until July 14th at 10:00 pm EST to show us your Stars and Stripes!!  The lucky winner will be invited to be a Guest Designer on an upcoming GI challenge as well as win a $5 gift certificate from Guylou's Inimitability Store!!!

Hope each one of you has a safe and awesome 4th of July weekend and Happy Canada Day!

Recipe:
Medium:  Copics
Sentiment:  TLC
Paper:  Martha Stewart
Making Memories Distress Ink
Close to My Heart self-adhesive Pearls
Close to My Heart Chipboard Star

Challenges:
Craft us Crazy - Red, White and Blue or Summer
DigiStamps4Joy- Red, White and Blue
The Outlawz - Copic/Promarker 7/1 Male Card
Stamp Something - July Digi Day Challenge
Digi Doodles  - Anything Goes
Delightful Challenges - Red, White and Blue
Pixie Dust Studio - Be Proud
Rainbow Lady's Challenge - 4th July
Cooking it up with Katie - Colors of your Flag
StampInsanity - Stars & Stripes
Tuesday Throwdown - #55
Use it Tuesday - Inspiration Colors
Card Making Mama's Challenge Blog - Red, White and Blue

27 comments:

  1. FABULOUS card, hon!! Your post almost made me cry. Love it. I love all of the distressing you did, the dp is PERFECT, and I love how the sentiment looks like a flag. Way to knock it out of the park! If I don't see you, have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo you're going fast Sara.... Another gorgeous card.... Love it.
    Here in the Netherlands we celebrate our freedom on the 5 of May...
    xxAngela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowzers Sara, your card is fabulous. Whoever gets this card is going to be blown away!! I love the image. Forgot about it actually! Love the perfect papers that you used. And that sentiment is PERFECT!!!!! So well designed. I love it, Bren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Sara, this card tugs right at your heart. I am in total awe! Your coloring, paper and sentiment are all perfect! Happy Fourth Hon! Hugz, Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara.... this card is my favorite of yours! You have outdone yourself! Thanks so much for hosting this wonderful challenge! This gonna be fun!
    Cheers!
    G

    ReplyDelete
  6. great card and sentiment! Thanks for joining the ‘Anything Goes’ Challenge’ at Digi Doodle Shop Challenges
    Debbie Dt x
    (Visit my blog, I have candy! http://ribbondreams.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it Sara...everything is simply perfect...goes together just right and the sentiment...well it too is perfect. Today you are just perfectly perfect! Well not just today! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sara, this is such a nice post. Very well said.

    I love your patriotic card! You show this image off to perfection. Great distressing!


    I hope you have a fabulous holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a totally cool card. Loving the star poking out from the image. Have a great weekend my lovely. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my GOODNESSSSS Sara this image is FABULOUS and your design is sooo wonderful!!! What a fabulous card sweetie, I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A truly fabulous creation honey! I love it!! :0) And you used one of my all time favourite sentiments too!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super card and I too love Peter Paul and Mary. Have a happy 4th and thanks for sharing
    Love Cynthia x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great image! Perfect for this holiday! Thanks for joining us at Pixie Dust Studio this weekQ

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sara, high 5, this card is a stunner, Happy 4th to you and your family, Hugs, Lori m

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is wonderful. perfect for this weekend. thanks for joining the challenge at Use It Tuesday :)

    Dinah

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a wonderful patriotic card. Says much more than just a flag. Thanks for joining us at Delightful challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow Sara...this card is incredible girl! And your story to go with it was so meaningful. Thanks for sharing both with us. You did a fabulous job coloring this image...and what a moving image it is too. And that sentiment is so totally perfect for it. And you're right, who says you can't add pearls to a guys card...they look darn good to me lol. Thanks for joining us at Digistamps4Joy Red, White and Blue challenge...good luck ~ Charlene DS4J DT

    ReplyDelete
  18. P.S...congrats on doing such a marvelous challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your card is brilliant x

    Thanks for joining us this week @ Delightful Challenges & Good Luck x

    hugs sally x
    sallysbitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sara this is a wonderful card. Too bad you posted it on Friday it would work for SSDS too. I love it. That is a great image and the quote is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW...what an amazing card. Love every detail of it, beautiful.

    Glad you took the Use It Tuesday challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Girl, this is fabulous!!! I love the colors and that star. This is wonderful and I want to copy it to send to my soldier. I hope that's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this card! Thanks for joining us at Digi Doodle Shop's Challenges
    Hugs,
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely to see a male card and a very clever card all round. Thanks for sharing with us at Digi Doodle Shops Best.
    Hugs Shirley x x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great card, thanks for sharing with us at Delightful Challenges

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sara - what a wonderful card - really moving!
    Thanks for joining us on our Red, White and Blue Challenge at Digistamps 4 Joy
    luv n huggz
    jen
    DT LEAD/CHALLENGE CO-ORDINATOR

    ReplyDelete